In winter a great activity is the Iwai Waterfalls snowshoe hike. The Iwai Waterfalls are during other seasons a must see destination because it most distinctive feature is that you can actually walk behind the waterfall. There is a legend that if you continue drinking this water for 21 days, you will have a long-awaited child, and it is called “Chiba Treasure Water.” In winter this waterfall is frozen and provides a great destination for a snowshoe hike.
Due to safety reasons this walk can only be done in groups and reservation is required. (minimum 5 people with a maximum of 20 persons) Under guidance of a local guide you walk through a fairy tale winter landscape to the Iwai Waterfalls. In the winter, around 2 meters of snow falls around the waterfall, and the severe cooling causes the waterfall to freeze and innumerable icicles become huge icicles, creating a fantastic “icefall”
The Iwai Waterfalls snowshoe hike takes about 90 minutes each way. (Time varies depending on snow conditions and breaks on the way.) There are few ups and downs during this hike which is suitable for beginners as well more experienced hikers.
- Dates: January 25 (Sat), January 26 (Sun), February 8 (Sat), February 9 (Sun), February 12 (Wed), February 15 (Sat)
- Time: 9: 00-13: 00 (240 minutes)
- Place: Taki Iwai * Meeting place: Izumi lobby (Kamisaihara 437-1)
- Price: ¥ 5,200 for adults, ¥ 4,200 for elementary school students (includes guidance and insurance) Make reservation here.
- Adults ¥6,000, Elementary school students ¥4,800 (Information fee, insurance fee, restaurant in the national dormitory “Yamahoshi” 500 yen meal ticket, Kurgarden Konoka or bathing ticket included) Make reservation here.
- Snow shoes rental separately ¥1,000
- Minimum of 5 people (up to 20 people)